Be inquisitive...


Some of the greatest ideas for change come from employees: they’re the ones closest to the job and know best what improvements are needed. Good companies listen and adopt the best of them. The 80/20 rule applies here: good designers and builders will usually get 80% of the final project done right, but it’s hard for them to anticipate everything. Once you have employees and customers, they’ll find the remaining 20%, and this is often the difference between good and great. I’ve seen front desk agents rearrange the cabinetry to bring the things they need closer to where they need them; the front door greeters and valet attendants in one of our new mega resorts noted that the way the cabs and rideshare cars got on and off property was so convoluted that the entire driveway had to be redesigned. Give your employees the power to question their workspace and practices – don’t get upset if they tell you didn’t get things perfect the first time: listen to the people on the ground and they’ll show you how to fix it every time. Progress often comes in increments and that process always starts with a ‘what’ or a ‘why’. Listen to those questions and you will uncover great improvement opportunities today.

 

Indira Gandhi (1917 – 1984); Indian politician who was the daughter of Jawaharlal Nehru, and the first and, to date, only female Prime Minister of India