Be ready...


Last week, I mentioned an article I wrote about The Mirage: I then got hundreds of comments from employees on all the good things they experienced there. And that got me thinking about how much planning we did for that project: several of us worked for more than 3 years during which every aspect of that property and its opening were intensely scrutinized. Here’s an example of that: one of the commenters mentioned that we gave all of the new team leaders pictures and bios of their new employees, so they’d be able to recognize them when they showed up at orientation. We scheduled those new employees to a specific session with assigned seats, on which were their introductory materials and their training manuals, nicely packaged in a backpack. The point of this story is that during those three years we were guessing what the experience would be like for those new employees and planning to make it a great first impression. Only after that planning did we transition into executing any of our plans. Each successive opening got better as we documented what happened and revised the plan. Leaders often take their applicants or employees for granted and tend to overlook those critical first impressions. Spend 80% of your time planning for what happens each day and then use the other 20% to execute it. That’s how to make great impressions today.

 

Henry “Hank” Aaron (1934 – 2021): American professional baseball right fielder who played 23 seasons in Major League Baseball