How to Develop Self-Confidence and Your Will Power
What is Will Power?
- Will power is the capability to control unnecessary & harmful desires.
- Will power is the ability to overcome laziness & delay.
- Will Power is the ability to come to a decision and follow it with perseverance until its successful accomplishment.
- Will power is the inner power that overcomes the desire to indulge in unnecessary and useless habits, & the inner strength that overcomes inner emotional and mental resistance for taking action.
- Will power is the inner strength to make a decision, take action, and handle and execute any aim or task until it is accomplished, regardless of inner and outer resistance, discomfort or difficulties.
- Will power is one of the corner stones of success, both spiritual and material.
What is Self Discipline?
- Self-discipline is the companion of will power.
- Self-discipline is self-control and self-restraint.
- Self-discipline is self-reliance and independence.
- Self-discipline endows the stamina to persevere in whatever one does.
- Self-discipline bestows the ability to withstand hardships and difficulties, whether physical, emotional or mental.
- Self-discipline enables you to reject immediate satisfaction, pleasure or comfort, in order to gain something better, but, which requires effort and time.
Some Exercises for Developing Your Self Discipline & Will Power
- Meditate at-least for 15 minutes a day.
- Do Yoga regularly.
- If you’re sitting in a bus or train and an old man or woman, or a pregnant lady walks in, Stand up and give up your seat, even if you prefer to stay seated. Act so, not just because it is polite, but because you are doing something that you are reluctant to do. This is an exercise in overcoming the resistance of your body, mind and feelings.
- There are dishes in the sink that need washing, and you postpone washing them for later. Get up and wash them now. Do not let your laziness overcome you. When you know that in this way you are developing your will power, and if you are convinced of the importance of will power in your life, it will be easier for you to do whatever you have to do.
- Sometimes, when you want to say something that is not important, decide not to say it.
- You come home tired from work and sit in front of the T.V., because you feel too lazy and too tired to take a shower first. Do not succumb to the desire to sit in front of the T.V, and go and take a shower.
- You have a desire to eat something not too healthy. Refuse the desire.
- Do you like your coffee with sugar? If you do, then for one whole week drink it without sugar. Do you drink three cups of coffee each day? If you do, then drink only two cups a day for one whole week.
- If you find yourself thinking unimportant, unnecessary, negative thoughts, try to develop lack of interest in them by persuading yourself of their futility.
- Don’t read some unimportant gossip in the newspaper, even if you want to.